Roasted hog, fresh shucked oysters, braised oxtail and delicate polenta wowed guests at the 17th annual Taste of North End last month benefiting the North End Community Health Center, as well as the schools and recreation centers of the North End providing services to children and neighborhood senior programs.
As I often tell folks, it’s hard to go wrong with any North End restaurant given the high culinary benchmarks. Even so, here are the ones that really won me over with their tastes at the event this year:
- Mamma Maria’s rabbit with polenta
- Aragosta’s fresh calamari salad
- Artu’s pork tenderloin with a spicy berry sauce
- Lucca’s braised oxtail with polenta
- Neptune’s fresh littlenecks and oysters
Held at the Steriti rink on Commercial Avenue, there was a live band, open wine bars and ample space despite the crowds and the 40-something restaurants represented – a welcome change from usually over crowded tastes.